The Council of American Master Mariners is dedicated to supporting and strengthening the United States Merchant Marine and the position of the Master by fostering the exchange of maritime information and sharing our experience. We are committed to the promotion of nautical education, the improvement of training standards, and the support of the publication of professional literature. The Council monitors, comments, and takes positions on local, state, federal and international legislation and regulation that affect the Master.
Declaration of Policy:
- To promote an effective, efficient,prosperous American Merchant
Marine which is of maximum benefit to the nation, the shipper, the
mariner, the ship owner, and the financial community.
- To render a public service by expressing the considered
professional opinions of Master Mariners regarding maritime issues.
- To encourage and promote advances in nautical education, training
standards, and the publication of professional literature for the
- To cultivate an attitude of continuing education within the profession.
- To foster an exchange of information between, and promote a spirit of friendship
and common purpose among all organizations whose members are dedicated to a strong United States flag
- To support and encourage improvement in all nautical facilities.
- To enhance the rightful prestige of the American Master Mariner. (amended 1992)