Sidelights December 2016 issue is out now!
View from the Bridge
President Captain Jeff Cowan attends Navigation Safety Advisory Council meeting and reports on key points of the meeting.
In the Council
- Nominations for the Lalonde Award due January 15th 2017
- CAMM Seattle gives $10,000 to Youth Maritime Training
- Chaplain's Column: Father Oubre reports on the inaugural International Maritime Human Rights conference.
Download the December 2016 Issue
- Problems with AIS
- Strange Story of the SS WARIMOO
- Captain Deborah Dempsey in CAMM Seattle maritime Person of the Year
Peter, the Odyssey of a Merchant Mariner
- CAMM member Ray Conrady: A voyage aboard barque PICTON CASTLE
- Captain A.K. Bansal: Admiralty Law and Jurisdiction
- ISFMA Report and News Updates
- and more!
now. (PDF format, 4.91 MB - low res)
Sidelights is written by master mariners and pilots for master mariners and pilots. It is the place we share our ideas, concerns, and experiences with others in our profession from all over the nation, and now, world. It is an outlet for our views to be heard by industry, government and regulatory officials. Sidelights is a way we communicate.
Sidelights is distributed to US Flag Ships, key industry officials, government officials (including MARAD, USCG, Congressional committee chairs, etc.), all CAMM members,international shipmaster associations and international regulatory entities such as IFSMA and the IMO.
In Each Issue
- View From the Bridge report from our own CAMM National President regarding the hot issue of the month;
- CAMM Chapter & Committee Reports;
- Maritime news and updates;
- The most current issues facing mariners and their effects on the industry;
- Original, timely articles submitted by maritime professionals;
- Seafarers’ rights by Father Sinclair Oubre, CAMM Chaplain;
- IFSMA: News from the Secretariat;
- In the Membership: poems, perspectives, and letters;
- Peter, the Odyssey of a Merchant Mariner by Captain Peter Chelemedos
- International Perspective, featuring articles about or written from around the world.
Submit an Article
To submit an article, please mail or email or send your articles, photos and related material to:
c/o R.J. Klein
4675 144th Pl SE
Bellevue, WA 98006
Advertise in Sidelights
Sidelights accepts advertisements to support publishing and distribution costs. All ads are subject to approval by the Sidelights Committee
Advertising Rates and Tech Specs web view OR download pdf.
February: February 15 (articles due by January 22)
April*: April 1 (articles due by March 5)
June*: June 1 (articles due by May 5)
October: October 1 (articles due by September 5)
December: December 1 (articles due by November 1)
*Dates subject to change dependent on CAMM Annual Meeting date